Shelf Isolation: 1 - Field
In episode one of Shelf-Isolation, the unifying word is Field. A field is a kind of stage where the wildness of God and nature border the hard-won and provisional order of human beings. Here we see English, Welsh, and American poets put this image to good use for their own visions.
Sources in this episodes:
-The Poems of Dylan Thomas by Dylan Thomas, edited with an introduction by Daniel Jones
-Spoon River Anthology by Edgar Lee Masters, Illustrated by Oliver Herford
- The Complete Poems by Philip Larkin, edited by Archie Burnett
- Thom Yorke has Myxomatosis
- Coming Up For Air by George Orwell
- full text of Orwell's 'A Little Poem'
- Literary Companion to the Lectionary, compiled and edited by Mark Pryce
- R.S. Thomas wiki
- Independent article on R.S. Thomas (which I erroneously referred to as the Guardian)